Success: Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account.
This Mom Created Something AMAZING In Her Backyard. And Here’s How You Can Do It Too!
By Janey - April 17th, 2014
Summer is here! Well, actually that totally depends on where you live. But if the sun is shining and the temperature is rising, I think we can all agree that there’s nothing quite like having some fun in the water. And if you’re DIY blogger Leisha, the creative gears in your noggin’ start turning and you figure out how to create something amazing that will make all of your neighbours jealous. What did she come up with? Think of it as what you’ve always wanted a water bed to be and more. [googlead]Leisha has gifted the world with The Water Blob! And she was nice enough to show everyone how you can make one too and make the most of the summer.
What you’ll need:
Painter’s plastic/plastic sheeting, 4 mil, 10′ x 25′ (but any dimension will do!)
Ironing board and iron
1. “Wait a second! What about leaks!?” Your secret weapon against leaks is the trusty iron! Set it to the highest setting. You’ll use the iron on the ends of the plastic sheeting to make a leak-proof seal.
2. Spread out the plastic sheet on floor and fold it in half. This will be the size of your water blob. Don’t fuss too much about aligning the edges perfectly… we’ll take care of that in step 4!
3. Cut a 2-foot long piece of parchment paper and fold it in half lengthwise. Measure two inches in lengthwise and draw a line. This will be your guide for ironing, so place it on your ironing board.
4. The sealing is about to start so grab that folded plastic sheet (keep it folded!). We are going to start on the edge of plastic that is opposite of the fold. Open up the folded parchment paper and put the plastic sheet inside. Use the fold crease of the parchment paper to align the edges of the plastic sheet.
5. Refold the parchment paper (the plastic sheet should now be sandwiched in).
6. Now let the ironing begin! Use the hot iron to melt the plastic together by ironing over the parchment paper. Stay on the side of the line that’s closer to the parchment paper fold. DO NOT LET THE IRON TOUCH THE PLASTIC DIRECTLY OR ELSE IT WILL BURN HOLES AND TURN INTO A HOT MESS.
7. Let it cool off for a few seconds before opening the parchment paper, and repositioning the plastic sheet. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you’ve completely sealed all of the edges.
8. Cut a small slit into the folded end of the plastic, near one of the corners.
9. Insert your water hose a few feet into the slit. Prop up this corner so the water doesn’t spill while you’re filling up your new blob. It takes about 30 minutes to fill about 8-inches of depth (this will obviously vary greatly depending on the dimensions you chose).
10. Once your blob is filled, remove the hose and quickly seal the slit with duct tape. Alternatively, for even more security, you can use the parchment paper and iron to melt the slit.
11. Now bask in the glory of your new creation! …or just let the children go crazy.
Bonus: add some water on top of the blob for a splashy good time and use some food colouring to make the water really blue!
Hopefully you made your blob large enough for the entire family. It’s not just for kids!
No doubt, once your family, friends, and neighbours see this great big blob of amazingness, they’ll want in on the watery action. So make sure you either make your blob extra gigantic or share this guide with them!