Pineapple upside-down cake is one of those classic desserts that everyone loves but so many of us are too afraid to make. Look… I can barely make a regular cake, never mind one that’s upside down. But Crouton Crackerjacks has released a YouTube video that’s a game changer. Apparently, this delectable treat can be made a lot more easily than I ever thought possible using a glass mug and a microwave. [googlead]”Microwaved!?” Yeah, I know… but the results speak for themselves. They come out moist and delicious every single time! Check out the video below and give it a shot!
- 1 canned pineapple slice
- 1 maraschino cherry
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose or plain flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp pineapple juice (reserved from the can of pineapple slices)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp beaten egg
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
In a 12oz glass coffee mug, layer the brown sugar, pineapple slice and place a maraschino cherry in the center of the pineapple ring. In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients and pour on top of pineapple slice. Microwave on 50% power for 2 1/2 minutes. Let sit 30 seconds, run a knife around the outside of the cake and then turn out onto a plate. Scrape all the syrup from the bottom of the mug onto the cake. Makes 1 cake.
- You must use a mug at least 12oz in size. Any smaller and the cake batter will overflow all over your microwave. No it doesn’t have to be clear but glass is best.
- Use pineapple slices canned in pineapple juice. Do NOT use pineapple packed in heavy syrup. You need the juice to provide moisture for the cake to turn out light and moist.
- The extra egg can be stored covered in the fridge for 24 hours. Add it to your scrambled eggs the next morning, freeze it for later or cook it up and give it to your dog for a treat.
- See the instruction manual for your microwave to see how to do 50% power. All microwaves are different, hence why I didn’t show how to do it. If you don’t have the manual for your microwave, Google is your friend.
- To lighten the calories you can reduce the brown sugar to 1 Tbsp and white sugar to 1 Tbsp. Any more and the cake doesn’t turn out and you won’t have a topping.
- Total calories as made is 427.
- Yes the recipe can be multiplied to make a full cake but the ingredient proportions are different for a full sized cake so it may or may not work out.
- And finally…no. You don’t have to put a cherry on top.