I’m an absolute sucker for deli sandwiches. There’s nothing fussy or fancy about them. They’re so simple, yet so delicious… truly the food of the people.
One of my favourite deli sandwiches is definitely the Reuben sandwich: corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, Russian dressing, all grilled between a couple slices of rye bread. How can anyone not love this sandwich? Add a side of fries, a pickle, and a cherry cola, and I’m in heaven. In many ways, the Reuben is a perfect dish. So how can one “improve” upon it? Well, friends, meet the Reuben casserole.
- 6 slices rye bread, divided
- 1 pound pastrami or corned beef, thinly sliced or shaved
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can sauerkraut
- 4 cups Swiss Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup dill pickles, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9×11-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Take four pieces of rye bread and cut them into cubes. Place remaining two slices in food processor, pulse until they become fine breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Spread cubed bread out along the bottom of your baking dish, then cover with 1/2 of pastrami. Top pastrami with sauerkraut, pickles, and 2 cups cheese.
- Cover with remaining pastrami and cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, salad dressing and mustard, then beat in eggs until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients evenly over the casserole, then top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly, top is browned and center is set.
- Remove from oven and prepare for greatness!
Check out the video below for the full details on how to make this delicious casserole. Please share this story if you know anyone who might enjoy this recipe!
If you would like to review your consent option, click here
You can still watch this video by following the link below, which will take you to an external website.